Sunday, March 1, 2009

Image Four

The image that I found looks like an advertisement for Romeo and Juliet from the Art Nouveau time period. The woman looks rambunctious and seductive as she has her head turned toward the viewer. She is animated as her long curled hair spirals and flows horizontally in the composition. The entire composition reminds me of Mucha’s poster (image 11-33 in Megg’s History of Graphic Design) as the woman’s hair looks very similar—like spaghetti. Also, the backgrounds of the two compositions are similar in the way that they look like stained-glass and are very intricately detailed. The typography in the design I found reminds me of the Celtic style. This image was from a Photoshop contest for Art Nouveau Mucha Style at photoshoptalent.com. I was drawn to this image because of the pose and expression on the girl's face and the curvy, flow-like style of the composition. I love the decoration around the border; it has a delicate, nature look to it because of it being so intricately detailed. The color is beautiful; I love how the background is comprised of cool colors with the form of the woman being a scarlet red. This really helps add depth to the composition. Also, the woman grabs the attention of viewers as she sort of pops out. Even the detailed stone-looking background is interesting. It reminds me of stained glass. I love this composition because was created to resemble Alphonse Mucha’s work of the Art Nouveau style. The Art Nouveau style was interesting because it was period that came after the Victorian Era and before the introduction of modern art. This image relates with what we have been covering in class because we have just covered the Victorian Art period, and moving into the period of Art Nouveau.

4 comments:

  1. The style of this poster very closely resembles the style of Mucha...especially the archetypal woman in the center with the plant like forms around her. Very interesting comparison Alexis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the comparison that you gave, I also really enjoy looking at this image. It's so beautiful and interesting. I also like how you said that it reminds you of Celtic style, when I first saw the background design I had the same thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Immediately after looking at this poster, I was reminded of Mucha's poster because of the hair. We didn't see women with hair like this until Mucha approached the idea, so it really stands out to me. One thing that doesn't really match with Mucha's style is that this women appears three dimensional. If I remember correctly, Mucha's images were very flat on the page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful poster and great example of the Art nouveau style. It has all the elements involved such as the bright colors, female figure and the way her hair was drawn. I really like the way the border comes out and interacts with the type near the corners and the details in the ring around the girls face.

    ReplyDelete