Saturday, March 7, 2009

Image Five

I was completely drawn to this image when I first saw it because it is so mysterious and fastasy-like. I wanted to find an image that would relate with surrealism, and I think this contemporary piece relates well with this art movement. I found the image online at neosurrealismart.com, among a variety of other interesting contemporary graphics. I was really impressed with the idea of turning a chess board into a body of water. I took a computer art course in the past where we had to create an interesting design with a chessboard -- very similar to this image. I turned mine into a wooden tabletop with bowls and plates of food placed on top of it. So, after working for weeks on the chessboard project, chess boards seem to really stand out when I see them. I believe the function of this image is to give off a specifc feeling for the viewers. Also, it may have just been created for visual interest -- I think it is fun to look at. My mind begins to sort of go off into fantasy land; ideas and stories begin to mold while seeing such an unrealistic setting, although the the objects look very realistic. In my opinion, the artist did a great job with digitally incorporating fantsasy with the realistic-looking objects. The quality of the artwork is great. All of the space is used, atmospheric perspective and accurate proportions are present as a sense of depth is perceieved. Specific textures are used for each object. Although the ship is very tiny in comparison with the chessboard, the overall image is pleasing because the chess board becomes the land and water, The fog surrounding the ship also adds depth to the composition; it runs off the left side of the image, along with the water, giving the idea that the chess board is part of a an even larger body of water. The dark colors in the background set a mysterious mood. It sort of looks like the chessboard is floating in a dark, dreary sky. Overall, this image relates with class since we have approached early modern art, with Surrealism being an early twentieth-century art movement.

5 comments:

  1. This chessboard is really neat! I love how realistic it looks, especially with the shadows and the movement of the 2 chess pieces. The sunken piece makes me giggle a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, that was a funny comment :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really great example of surrealism in graphic design. I agree, when you look at it your mind runs in many different directions trying to concoct a story worthy of its fantastic appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is an awesome image, it is so cool how it shows of surrealism. I love the sunken piece and how the ship is just there and destroying other pieces. Gives you an idea of what happens when you play chess, well a fantasy like idea of what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like how realistic this looks and it was a cool idea to turn the chessboard into an ocean. The ship kind of going in and causing destruction starts to give the viewer a sense of a story and I agree that it is like a fantasy.

    ReplyDelete