Friday, March 13, 2009

Chapter 15: A New Language of Form

At the turn of the century, many new changes were developing. Designers, architects and product designers began to focus more on geometric form; form and space were elements being created within their work. The main focus during this time, around the end of World War I, was on form and function. There became a rejection for art taking a political/social role; art was meant to create forms in time and space. Suprematism was a new painting style where form and color were a main focus. Russians were influenced by cubism and futurism, so they came up with the name, cubo-futurism, and used typography and designs in their work.

The most interesting thing I learned was how Kasimir Malevich created artwork with the focus on colors and shapes, without basing the work on values, emotions and pictorial representation. One of his compositions is just a white background with a large black square. Honestly, it doesn’t bring forth any excitement when I see it. As I look at it, it looks like there is depth, as if there is a big hole leading to nowhere—like outer space. I know that if many others were to see it, they may get something out of it, like a certain feeling or story that goes along with it. At the same time, many may see the piece and think nothing of it because it is so simple and plain. I think I like his work because my attention is grabbed much easier when I see less complex designs/art.

What is a leftist artist?

No comments:

Post a Comment