Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Day Fourteen: After Class

Yesterday's topic in class was the influence of early modern art from chapter 13. 

I presented on this chapter and told the class about Cubism, Futurism, Dadaism, Surrealism, Expressionism. I showed some images of contemporary work that has been influenced by these movements. I think each movement is very interesting and I'm so glad that I chose this chapter to present because the further research gave me a better understanding of it all. I love each movement because they are all unique in their own way. Cubism used geometric, rectilinear shapes and made collages out of materials while symbolizing the subjects they perceived. I loved how Futurists creatively used text to assemble forms. A lot of meaning was put into their work as they combined images and letters together. Their page layouts looked sort of random, but the intention was to bring forth ideas of the viewers. Dadaism was one of my favorite movements although it is kind of a confusing movement. I understand that they were against art, and they wanted to grab the attention of society by altering already-made objects and making them stand out. But I still am unclear about whether they were purposely making art, since they were against the idea of being called artists. I'm not up for rebellion and violence, but I like how they knew what they liked and disliked; like black and white. They did what they could to grab society's attention. Surrealism was one of my other favorites. I am so fascinated with surrealism now. After learning what their intentions were--using realistic elements, yet not taking gravity or scale into consideration, and creating an overall dream-like situation--I feel influenced. I usually like to paint or draw exactly what I see. Now when I look at everyday objects or nature, my mind starts to play around with it; it's kind of fun. I want to learn so much more about surrealists and other art movements. I love it all. Expressionists created beautiful artwork, whether it looked energetic or somber or right in between. Color and line were exaggerated and created such interesting, unexpected compositions. Some were filled with such energy that you start to feel uplifted and refreshed when you look at them. Others looked dark and mysterious; kind of making you feel sympathetic or interested in what the artist was trying to express. Visual art can really change your mood...like music...it's cool.

The most interesting thing I learned today was that Art Nouveau was the first art movement. I had originally thought that Expressionism or Cubism came first. Knowing that it was an art movement reminds me to really have a better understanding of it and how it influenced or evolved into modern art. 

When the Dadaists took ready-mades and altered them, did they consider them pieces of art? 

No comments:

Post a Comment