Saturday, February 7, 2009

Week One: Image

This image is an outline of a face profile with the brain consisting of mini sections of simple pictures. All of the pictures relate with one-another in the way that they are all sources of energy. Shell is trying to let people know that they are creative in the way that they will try to think of ways to provide humans with fuel since there have been climate changes and population increases. I found this shell advertisement in a Newsweek magazine. The reason why I chose this art design is because it was one of the first ones that grabbed my attention while thinking of pictographs and symbols. I think the artwork overall is very clean and bold. The color layered over the light brown background really catches the eye of viewers, which is important a message is being conveyed. I notice that my eye keeps moving among the pictures because of the way that they are orderly and grouped in a circular position, and because of the arrows sending me in specific directions. The colors (purple, green, brown, blue) give off a sense of heaviness because they are cool and dark. The contrast between the bold hues and light background also helps the pictographs to stand out. This artwork relates with what we have discussed and read in class because it deals with communication through elementary pictures. Text has clearly been typed alongside each picture, and if they were removed I might have a harder time trying to figure out what one or two of the pictures stood for. This reminds me of when writing was first invented; in class, we were shown some petroglyphs and many of the meanings were hard to make out. There are also arrows—symbolizing a specific direction—in the design, so they are helpful when it comes to communication. Overall, I believe the design communicates well with its viewers because simple pictographs and text are used. The composition consists of a human head with the pictographs being arranged in the place of a brain. A viewer may perceive the artwork as being a display of innovative ideas to use natural resources in the world today.

4 comments:

  1. I think this image is very creative and interesting. It's cool seeing all the pictures working together to show a common goal/interest. I also really like the background being a newspaper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very good example of the use of pictographs. I like how the pictures are very elementary yet convey a complex idea. I agree, the captions and arrows definitely help the understanding of the message.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing jumps out at me immediately when I look at this advertisement. -the Shell gas station logo. This is what the creators were trying to achieve because they want to be noticed first. As an audience we don't initially tell ourself "Hey it's Shell Gas Station!" but subconsciously we are doing just that.
    It all works well because the earthy colors are pastel-like and fit perfectly with the topic of saving planet earth, there's no question about that. They have reasoning for doing what they did, which can be appreciated. Once you throw in the normal colored logo, BAM! You get noticed first, but not in an annoying sort of way.
    Perfect use of Graphic Design, and is something that we, as future designers, should remember for further use.
    I'm curious to see how effectively some of these images would work by themselves. I don't feel that all of them are blatantly obvious as to their meaning, but their meaning is understood once we look at the other pictures. They all work in conjunction with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the boldness of all the colors and designs in this ad. I agree that some of the images would be hard to figure out without text, but the idea that energy conservation is what the goal of Shell is.

    ReplyDelete